The OpenExt Thunderbird addon allows you to define an external, non-default browser for opening URL links in your e-mails.
Since there was no simple extension for this purpose available on Mozilla addons page, I used the ThunderBrowse extension, originally made by GameSpotting! Networks.
I removed all the useless stuff from there, since browsing in Thunderbird never worked as expected. I fixed some important bugs and keeped only the sole function - opening link in an external browser.
Difference between OpenExt and Thunderbrowse:
- Removed all icons, menus and basic browsing features from Thunderbrowse.
- Fixed bug which allowed to open a link with an arrow key. Now it reacts only on left mouse button.
- Fixed bug when mailto: links opened an empty browser window, instead of opening new compose mail window in Thunderbird.
- Fixed bug which allowed to open malformed (not recognized) links in a browser.
- New feature - horizontal drag link's text selection (possibility to select the text of a hyperlink without opening it in the browser)
- English and Czech localization available
If you like my work, please make a donation.
(c) 2017 - 2019 redfox-cz, email@example.com